Saturday, November 8, 2014

Buckle up, Buttercup.

   As a high school student I have the wonderful privilege to attend and take college classes. Now, I must admit, it isn't always a joy. I mean it is school, and it is challenging. Most weekends and weeks are spent writing essays and studying for what seems pointless, but I know in all reality, later on in life I will be thankful I'm getting some of these dreadful required classes out of the way.

   One of my classes that I'm taking is an 'Introduction to Psychology' class. Going into it, I was actually kind of excited because I like to analyze people. I am the type of person who is a definite observer and notice little things a lot of other people don't. Anyways, I was totally wrong about how this class was going to go. My first suggestion to anyone reading this is, don't set expectations on a class because you are likely to be really disappointed. Just kidding! Be excited!

   My class is fairly small, only about 10 students, but our professor is not so professor like. I mean to give you a better picture, just image Santa Clause trying to teach you a Psyc class.. oh and take it seriously, too.

   Everyday is an adventure and on one particular day the subject of the day was talking about ghosts, demons, and other stuff related among that. Of course being how it had to be, my professor decided to pick on me and get my opinion that day. So he asked, so I gave it. His response was strange declaring it's best to not believe in anything. And so, by the end of the class period his conclusion to believe in nothing, resulted in thinking that trapping me in a haunted house seemed best. Yes, that's correct. I said I didn't believe in ghosts, so the whole class made fun of me and thought it would be best to trap me in a haunted house so that I would conform. You should have seen my eye roll.

   The point here isn't that I was made fun of or any of that, it's simply this. You have to know where you stand and you have to do nothing but stand. You can't play the "I don't know" game and just think that's okay. All your life people will give you their opinions and what THEY think is best, but it's honestly not their opinions that count, or even matter. It's Gods. If you don't consider God's law first and where he stands and what HE says is right, then nothing matters.

   I have a lot of people that don't care for me, I don't have friends that I go and hang out with on the weekends, I offend people because I do what God tells me to do instead of what they tell me to do, and quite frankly I'm okay with it. I'm okay with it because I know that when I please God I am doing the right thing. I will not settle to please you, or any professor just because then that way it won't be difficult. I am only 16, and I have had to deal with a lot more than I should at my age. People always tell me that I'm just a kid and to go and have fun and not worry about the rest. Now while that sounds nice and it's true I'm young, but that just simply isn't how it works. Why? Because my generation is a generation that is going down the sewer system fast and someone has to do something. Someone has to care, and someone has to grow up and be real. So when a professor or someone I know gets mad at me because I am choosing to do what God tells me to do, good. My opinion is God's opinion and if you have an issue with it, deal with it.
 
   I used to really struggle with what people thought about me. Growing up where I have and with the kids I have, hasn't been easy, because I haven't done things like them. There is a label that gets put on people who don't conform or do something how the status-quo says to do it. It's hard to trust God sometimes doing something everyone says is wrong. It makes you question what you're doing, it makes you want to stop how God said to do it and do it their way so that the gossip going around will stop. It's painful and it's testing. But let me tell you something, when you can't understand and see the whole picture, God can, and you just need to hold on and trust. When God speaks, don't doubt.

   God showed me something one day while I was riding along in the car. I was dealing with some stuff and feeling really down and questioning God about things I knew he told me but was doubting because people were giving me hardship about it. We were on the Interstate and there was cars zooming all around us. While I was looking ahead in front of us, alongside at the same time, two huge semi's cornered us in. My instant reaction was fear filling me inside because I felt like we were being pulled backwards and crushed by these two large trucks that were triple the size of us. As I started to focus on the feeling of fear, all of the sudden it was like reality was quiet for a second and God refocused my focus and vision to straight in front of us. In that second I couldn't see the trucks that were trying to pull me down and destroy me, the things that were causing me doubt were gone and all I could see was the clear path ahead. God showed me two things that day. He showed me that the doubt was not from him because my God is not a God of doubt or confusion, what he says is true. When those huge trucks were passing by they symbolized the people that were giving me trouble and that even though it seems like they are winning and destroying me, creating doubt, that I was not to focus on that but focus on the path ahead of me that He has laid out before me. The other thing he showed me using those semi's was that he is surrounding me like he says in his word, he is covering me with his wings of refuge and in his hands I am held. NO harm is allowed to befall on my dwelling. He not only revealed something significant to me in that moment but corrected me for doubting him. I was instructed by him and his word to stand tall on the promises of his written and spoken word.

   Knowing where you stand and being confident in God is important. Walking blindly will destroy you. People will eat you alive if you don't know where you stand on the word of God. When He instructs you, listen and don't doubt. If you live for the approval and acceptance of man, trying to please everyone, then you will be destroyed and die from their rejection. You're either standing firm on God's word or you're not. People won't approve and they won't understand you're walk and journey with God, and that is okay. It's okay because it's always better for God to be pleased then for men to applaud you. I strive to hear, "Well done my good and faithful servant," from my God rather than from any man.

   SO, Mr. Psychology teacher, go ahead and trap me in a haunted house, but just know that when you come to let me out you will fall to your knees in repentance because the King of Kings will be standing by my side.

 

As Always,
XoXo. Elizabeth


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment